What is Boo:
Boo is a language for .Net which appeals to a variety of users due to its clean syntax and powerful extensibility features.
An ultra clean syntax:
- Python-style indentation, no unnecessary keywords, brackets or semi-colons makes for highly readable code.
- Try pasting some C#/VB.Net in this online converter and see the difference!
Powerful extension features:
- add new keywords,
- modify or generate extra code during compilation
- even create your own DSL!
- Boo has been supported in Sharpdevelop since 2006.
- There are also plugins for sublime and Notepad++.
Advanced language features:
- First class functions
- List comprehension
All the speed of C#:
- Boo is statically compiled, running at the same speed as C#.
- Assemblies produced by one .Net language can be used by another, so fully interoperable
- Option to use duck typing, making it feel more like Python (but run significantly slower, like IronPython)
The quickest way is to grab a copy of Sharpdevelop IDE
(versions 3 or 4) which has Boo included,
and can convert C# or VB.Net to Boo.
Then check out the Boo primer
or other Tutorials
Microsoft have just open-sourced .Net, making it available on Mac and Linux!